Monday, March 18, 2013

Lena turns FOUR with The Lorax!!!

This past weekend our sweet Lena turned four!! It's hard to believe how quickly time is passing us by. Lena turning four means we no longer have 3 kids three and under!! For her birthday party theme this year we decided to do the Lorax. There are so many fun and colorful things in this book and you can really just let your imagination take you away...that's my kind of theme :) I enjoyed planning and preparing for this party so much, I'm actually sad it's over!! Lena did have a wonderful time, as did all of her sweet friends, I hope :) It did take a while to get all the truffula trees, and Lorax pots and everything else put together for the big day, so we've had all this stuff sitting all over our house for so long, I've become pretty used to the fluffy little trees and big eyed pots sitting all over! We also had a very sweet friend of ours custom make a "Lorax" tut for Lena, which she had on most of the day. However, Lena has become quite the dare devil, like her Dad, so she and some of her friends came up with a game where one would drive the "cozy coupe" car down our big hill while the other would grab onto the back and drag behind the car the whole way down. The dried up straw grass (that's my name for the grass in SC) got stuck all over in her tutu. I knew she wouldn't last too long in it, she's too full of adventure, but the tutu is thankfully still in tact and Lena has told me numerous times that that was her favorite part of her whole day. I would have to say of all the birthday parties I've thrown for my kids, this one has been my favorite of all time. You can't beat a theme with so many creative avenues, plus a very good message to send home with all the kids...UNLESS Someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.
I was lucky enough to have this lantern from one of my Halloween decorations and I just cut out a piece of cardboard, painted it purple, painted the letters, and taped it onto the lantern




The exposure in these pictures is a little off, but I tried to incorporate as much detail from the books as I could. The pots were the kids party favors to take home with them. They got to plant their own "truffula seed" which was just a flower seed. On the back of the pots is the quote from the end of the book and each child got to pick a rock with the word "UNLESS" on put on top of the soil in their pot.  


My mini truffula trees were some of my favorites!! To make these cute little guys, all I did was take a wooden shishkabob stick, paint it whit and then draw the crooked lines on with a permanent marker. For the tufts of the trees I took a small Styrofoam ball, a feather ribbon and stick it on with small nails. Don't use glue, it would make the feathers gunky. Stick the ball on the stick and I put tissue paper in some of my pots and stuck the stick in :)
The big truffula tree was something I found on pinterest and it was just way too good to pass up. Same concept as the mini trees, just a much bigger Styrofoam ball and feather boas instead of ribbon. Use nails to put on the feathers again. For the stick I used a bamboo, but you could use any stick you might be able to find in your back yard. I didn't use the traditional colors used in the book for the stick, I just wanted to make it extra colorful and fun! For the base I just bought a cheap flower pot, painted it and filled it with sand and filled the top with plaster of paris to hold the stick in place. I used Easter grass to cover up the top of the pot, but you could use anything, just have fun with it!! 




 We had so much fun with this and I love being able to share all my ideas with anyone who might love this kind of thing as much as I do!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment